Thursday, December 11, 2008

Taylor Dome Part 2

A shot of one of the Dry Valleys.


















Our toilet in the poop tent.


















This shot was taken just as we crossed over the coast of Antarctica. A lava field takes up most of the shot. We weren't quite sure what that circular region was, but we thought it looked cool. I was thinking it may be some sort of lagoon with shallow ice over it, but I really don't know.














I'm standing in this shot. You can see the solar panel frame for the primary pulsar. The white PVC tube sticking out of the ground is the top of the bore hole. The solar panel box has cables that go to a battery box, which is under the surface of the snow. The pulsar box is barely visible near the bore hole, and it has a cable running down the bore hole to an antenna.






Anne, our mountaineer, decided to have a drinking contest with me right before we went to bed one night. My water was starting to freeze, which made for an unpleasant experience. I won, but I had a little bit of a head start and I weigh probably twice as much as she does.








I don't know which glacier this is, but you can see how it flows.

















I thought this was Mount Discovery, but now I'm thinking it wasn't, so it's just another photo.













This is an candid photo of myself. My neck was actually pretty sore, which was why I was laying down. I think not being able to stand up in any of the tents, having to look down to walk because of the goggles, and all the stuff in my jacket that I didn't want to freeze contributed.










Adding the secret ingredient to Sastrugi Stew.

2 comments:

almuna said...

Like the toilet!

Bomb Robinson said...

very excellent indeed. miss you.