Saturday, December 24, 2011

12-22-11

So today we are celebrating Christmas at the South Pole station, but because I'm a couple days behind in my blog and I'm trying to keep it in chronological order, I may not get photos up today.

Here is a quick stitch I did of the sky at the South Pole from the roof of the ICL. I thought it was neat how you could see the curvature of the earth and the fact that the edge of the storm was visible. The remainder of the sky was gray. As usual a photo doesn't really capture it, and the quick and dirty stitching isn't helping.






Here's a view of the drill camp from the roof of the ICL.















Here you can see the deployment sled. All that it still needs is some panels on the sides for operator comfort.















Here you can see some drifting from the storm the previous day. We have a few new drifts a couple feet high that can be difficult to negotiate in flat lighting.















Here's a shot of the station that I took after walking back from the ICL. It's the first time I've noticed the marker at the top of the flag pole with the US flag on it.

No comments: