Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christchurch Botanical Gardens

I know you all follow this to see photos of ducks and flowers, so I thought I'd oblige. However, I do enjoy the gardens and spent most of my last day in Christchurch there and likely will spend some time there on the way back.


I'm hoping at least one follower can identify this non-native tree.


































Looking for the tastiest morsels of something. Sorry about the haze, my telephoto lense needed to be cleaned.















There were a lot of ducklings around.



















A family of paradise shelducks or PÅ«tangitangi which are endemic to New Zealand. The parents often mate for life. These two made good parents as they cleared the lawn of a couple dozen other ducks so their ducklings could be uninterrupted in their quest for the tastiest pieces of grass.














The mom.














The dad.





























Bananas from the greenhouse I was on to take the next photo.




















I tried to get the whole rose garden in this shot, but didn't quite make it. It definitely smells pretty spectacular even before going to the ice.












































The Peace Rose.
















A fern from the fern house.
















































































A dahlia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gonna have to go with Sequoia sempervirens or Sequoiadendron gigateum. Can't tell, but I guess money on coast redwood.