Saturday, December 18, 2010

South Pole and accomodations

This is the actual South Pole. Because the ice sheet moves about 30 feet a year, they resurvey and mark the South Pole on January first of each year with a new marker so this marker is a bit off now. The marker moves sort of two the right each year, and so now it's moving closer to the new ceremonial marker.














The marker is of the South Pole Telescope. I think they chose to make a marker of it as a result of a recent upgrade to the telescope, but I really don't know.
















































This is a shot of the South Pole ceremonial marker and the Amundsen-Scott facility behind it. The wing with my room in it is on the back of the left side. They move the ceremonial marker every few years.


































This is looking down the wing of my building. My room is the second to last door on the right. The base is going 24 hours a day, so you're pretty much always guaranteed to have a neighbor sleeping.




















This is looking out the window at the end of the hallway. The jamesways on the left of the shot are where most of the summer visitors live, so I got real lucky.














A quickly stitched shot of my room. Because my room is in the interior of the building and I have no window, I get a slightly larger room. The rooms with a window have a wall immediately next to the door, so they don't get the cabinet and dresser on the left. Instead they get a small desk at the end of the room.

No comments: