Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Shots of Christchurch

I now have a flight scheduled for tomorrow morning to McMurdo, so hopefully I'll be in McMurdo this time tomorrow.


I completely forgot Christchurch experienced 7.1 earthquake not that long ago. Most of the city looks fine, there still is some construction in places but for the most part you probably wouldn't even know. However, some of the older buildings were hit harder and are still being renovated.

Here's a photo of the Arts Centre which is still being repaired.




















Apparently I took this photo from a restricted area in Christ's College which isn't a college in the American sense, it's what I would call a prep school. Apparently a number of chimneys collapsed as a result of the earthquake. I've heard that the red-brick buildings were especially susceptible to damage.
















Here's a photo of the Bridge of Remembrance. It replaced a bridge that troops walked over from the barracks to the rail yard for deployment overseas. It originally was dedicated to WWI veterans, but is now in honor of those who served up through Vietnam.















Some photos of related to punting down the Avon. While I didn't partake in it, I think it probably doesn't quite compare to a private punt on the Cam.































Some more Neo-Gothic architecture with the canterbury stone.




















A night shot of the Christchurch Cathedral and the Chalice celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of Christchurch.

No comments: